What are the challenges of hiring a nanny housekeeper & cook in one?
Should you hire a full time or live in nanny?
Giving someone enough time to be a nanny and do all the housekeeping chores as well as being a cook for your family means you’re looking at hiring a nanny full time or even a live-in nanny.
What are your nanny’s skills & experience?
Finding a competent nanny with housekeeping and cooking skills, plus experience, narrows down your choice of suitable candidates. You’ll also have to pay a higher than average salary for a nanny with the best mix of expertise.
How should you manage your nanny housekeeper’s time?
Consider your requirements on the amount of time you need your nanny to look after your children on a daily or weekly basis. Do you want your nanny to be on call day and night, or just help ferry the kids to and from school, and feed them when they get home?
What should you pay your nanny housekeeper and cook?
Also consider any educational roles you wish your nanny to undertake when looking after your kids. Will she also have to fulfil the role of a teacher?
Combining all these jobs into a single role naturally means you’ll have to pay a higher salary for a better level of professionalism.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Nanny Housekeeper & Cook
Enjoy more quality family time
- Daily housekeeping (light cleaning and occasional deep cleaning)
- Shopping and cooking
- Pet care
- Childcare, from active playing through to babysitting or school runs
- Running errands
- Serving at dinner parties
- Dealing with contractors
- Receiving deliveries
What’s the right salary of a nanny housekeeper & cook?
- Entry Level (little experience). Weekly wage: £510 – £740. Annual salary: £25,000 – £38,000.
- Mid Level (some experience). Weekly wage: £740 – £980. Annual salary: £38,000 – £50,000.
- High Level (very experienced). Weekly wage: £980+. Annual salary: £51,000+.
How can you hire a housekeeper cook nanny?
Here’s a Recruitment Guide with some tips to finding a good nanny housekeeper and cook that suits your needs.
For the best chance of finding a vetted individual that can perform all the roles of a nanny housekeeper use a specialist recruitment agency. There’s a difference between a specialist housekeeper and nanny recruitment agency like Polo & Tweed and regular employment agencies. Learn about the difference here.
The most important thing you can do is take your time deciding on the type of candidate you want to hire, their main duties and the package you are offering as an employer. Here are some important things to keep in mind and be clear about when hiring:
- Job specification and all duties
- What to include in the nanny employment package in addition to a regular salary such as accommodation and transport
- Your expectations of your nanny’s personality, language and experience
- References! Always check references and ensure the candidate’s paperwork is correct
- Ensure the employment contract and pay comply with your duties as an employer