The role of a butler is diverse and exciting, each day can be completely different. One day you could be organising a household event, the next you could be training staff members. When you think of a butler, I’m sure you think of the classic quintessentially English ‘Downtown Abbey’ style butler. But in fact, there are many other different types of butler role on offer.
From a more modern butler (often referred to as House Manager), to Female Butlers, or Hotel Butlers in luxury 5* hotels and more. Each butler position will entail different duties but many of the skills needed are the same across all roles.
What traits do you need to thrive as a butler?
- Successful butlers will have a positive, calm, and professional attitude.
- You must carry out your duties with the utmost discretion and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Being organised is a key skill that is required to be a fantastic butler. Displaying a keen eye for detail ensures that the household is presented to a high standard at all times.
- Butlers need to be strong communicators. They must be comfortable communicating with the principals and all members of staff. Being able to take non-verbal cues and signals is also a valued skill.
- Being able to calmly solve problems is important. Butlers need to be able to pre-empt possible issues and find solutions to ensure everything runs smoothly.
- You will always need to be well presented and dressed in the correct manner, whether that be formal suit attire or a more relaxed dress code.
Having all of these traits isn’t essential, but it will help you whilst you consider if a butler role would be suited to you. For instance, if you aren’t dedicated to giving impeccable service, this job might not be for you.
A Fulfilling Role
Being a butler is a varied and fulfilling role, they are an integral part of the household and can have a massive impact on the family they work with. Butlers are highly sought after due to their wealth of knowledge and highly skilled service. If you are a butler already, there are many areas of development in which you can choose to expand your knowledge. From training modules on yacht service, wine pairing, and even cigar service & preparation.
Alongside the rewarding day to day duties of a butler, there also comes a generous salary offer. Starting salaries depend on experience and whether the role is live in/live out. With entry-level positions starting at £22,000, and exceeding £73,000 for experienced candidates.
How can Polo & Tweed Help?
Do you think you would make a good butler? If you would like to train to become a butler, we can help! Polo & Tweed world-leading training provider to students all over the world, with an online academy for all the courses too – including Butler training! The internationally known training academy only works with the absolute best trainers in the industry. They have dedicated their years of experience and skill to the students and the training courses.
Whether you are completely new to the trade, or a seasoned professional. You will be able to learn so much from the online training course. The online courses are internationally acknowledged and provide you with a certificate upon passing your final assessment.
If you are looking to find a new job as a butler – we can help you with that too! Simply register with us to get on our books and we will keep you posted when a suitable job comes up. To find out more about what options work best for you do contact us here now and we look forward to speaking to you!