What's the difference between spring cleaning and general housekeeping? It's a question a professional cleaner, housekeeper or agency should know the answer to. Here are some pointers to consider when hiring from a housekeeping agency. Click To TweetWhen you hire professional housekeepers or cleaners, there’s a difference in the type of cleaning they do.
So, Spring Cleaning Vs General Cleaning – What’s the Difference?
What is general housekeeping?
Regular cleaning and upkeep to maintain a tidy property, including:
- Vacuuming and mopping floors
- Cleaning surfaces
- Dusting and polishing
- Cleaning different areas of the home
- Laundry, ironing and putting away clothes
- Tidying up
What is spring cleaning?
Deep cleaning, which is done regularly in some properties, including:
- Lifting up and moving furniture so cleaning can be done under the furniture
- Removing covers from furniture such as sofas and cleaning them
- Cleaning out the fridge and freezer
- Cleaning out cupboards and storage areas
- Removing built up lime scale from hard-to-access areas
- Thorough cleaning inside utilities such as ovens
What are the benefits of regular spring cleaning?
As you can see from the above, deep or spring cleaning achieves a more thorough clean. At some properties, this level of deep cleaning is expected to be common place. Here are some of the advantages of incorporating deep cleaning into a regular housekeeping or cleaning schedule:
- Higher level of cleanliness. With regular deep cleans, there is less build up of dirt and bacteria, ensuring that children (particularly little ones) are not playing in grime.
- Quicker and easier general cleaning. If a deep clean is performed regularly, general cleaning will be much less time consuming to achieve a high standard of cleanliness.
- Better efficiency. Regular deep cleaning ensures staff can stay on schedule with regular cleaning. Once you’ve established a good standard, staff will be more efficient with general cleaning duties
- Minimize labour hours. If deep cleaning is neglected for a long time, more people and more hours will be required when an overdue spring clean is done. Stay on top of deep cleaning and usually only one person is enough for the job.
When should you do spring cleaning instead of general cleaning?
You should always incorporate some deep cleaning into your weekly schedule. A good housekeeper or cleaner should understand the benefits of regular deep cleaning. As a home owner, you will also see the benefits of regular deep cleaning with general cleaning performed on top of this. Your property will remain in good condition with less wear and tear on furniture, giving it a longer lifetime.
How could Polo & Tweed help?
Polo & Tweed specializes in sourcing and placing experienced housekeeper with families around the world. If you need a part- or full-time housekeeper, we can assist you with your search for the perfect match. Drop us a line here and one of our consultants will be in touch to discuss your requirements.