What Insurance Do You Need For a Personal Assistant?


Published on February 9, 2018

Insurance. Best to err on the side of caution. You only need it when you NEED IT! Click To TweetIn a complicated world, accidents can happen.  Staff can let you down, and there can be issues in the workforce.  It is vital both as employer and employee, or self-employed individual, that you have the right protections in place.  After all, you only need insurance when you need it, and if you don’t have it you can open yourself up to many future problems.  It is always better to err on the side of caution.

So what insurance do you need for a personal assistant?

In the UK, if you employ someone, then you are required by law to have Employers Liability Insurance.  This protects you against the cost of compensation claims arising from employee illness or injury, sustained as a result of working for you. It is a legal requirement if your business employs one or more people – each day without the cover brings fines of up to £2,500.  The price of the policy is typically calculated over a whole year, but you can often opt to pay monthly.

If you are working with a self-employed PA then you do not need to have this in place, but many principals choose to do so for additional cover and peace of mind.  If the person is self-employed then they can have their own policy – and you should ask to see their paperwork and proof of this before taking them on.

If you are a self-employed PA, then you should have Public Liability Insurance, as this will protect you from issues that might arise within your working environment.  It will protect you from accidents, errors and other risks included in the job.  Employed PAs do not need to do this, as their employer should have Employers Liability Insurance (ask to see proof of this).

Some carers in the UK are referred to as PAs.  This is often due to the fact that they undertake a whole host of additional duties in the home alongside the care duties, including admin, organisation as well as medical support.  Some insurance policies are provided which combine the concept of PAs and Carers.

Many freelance PAs have their own business, and in turn are subject to company law and insurance guidlines in the UK.  It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Insurance Providers in the UK

Now we’ve broken down the different types of covers, we will look at some of the main providers in the UK for you to choose from.


They offer a dedicated insurance service for PAs.  Their Professional Indemnity Insurance defends you against claims of negligence, breach of confidentiality, dishonesty, libel and slander. Very affordable packages start at £7 per month.

Fish Insurance

They offer a dedicated insurance service for PAs and Carers.  Their yearly packages start at £89 and cover a wide range of aspects.

Surewise Insurance

They offer a dedicated insurance service for PAs and Carers.  Their packages start at as little as £4.92, and they provide a varied and comprehensive cover.

Mark Bates LTD

They offer a dedicated insurance service for PAs and Carers.  Their packages start at £69 per year and rise depending on the level of cover sought.

Hiscox Employers Liability Insurance

They offer a huge range of choices for protection for companies and individuals employing others.  They are focused and, when needed, give you the support required.


We hope this article has been helpful to understand your obligations when hiring a PA or indeed when working as a PA.  And as we’ve said above, it’s better to be safe than sorry!  We’d love to help you find your next amazing PA or indeed help you find your next PA job.  Please do get in touch with us and we’d love to speak further about your requirements.

One comment

  1. Michael Adiohwo says:

    There are many aspects of this article on which I concur with you. You have generated synapses in my brain not used often. Thank you for getting my neurons jumping.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *