List of Documents Accepted for ID/Address for DBS Check


Published on April 22, 2016

Do you need to know which documents are accepted for ID/Address for your DBS Check? Find out in our handy overview here!

Group 1 – Primary Identity Documents for DBS Check

Current valid Passport – UK or EEA (or Non-EEA in combination with a Biometric Residence Permit. Or current Work Permit/Visa).

Biometric Residence Permit (UK).

Current Driving Licence (UK) (Full or provisional) Isle of Man /Channel Islands.

Photo card only (a photo card is only valid if the individual presents it with the associated counterpart licence. Except Jersey).

Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) – issued within 12 months of the date of birth.

Full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas. This can be as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces.

Group 2a – Trusted Government Documents for DBS Check

Current valid Passport (UK, EEA or Non-EEA).

Current UK Driving licence (Photo card or old style paper version).

Biometric Residence Permit (UK).

Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) – issued within 12 months of the date of birth.

Certified copy of Birth Certificate (UK and Channel Islands) – issued after 12 months of the date of birth.

Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK).

Adoption Certificate (UK).

HM Forces ID Card (UK).

Fire Arms Licence (UK).

Group 2b – Financial and Social History Documents for DBS Check

Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA)**.

Bank/Building Society Statement (UK or EEA ONLY)*.

Credit Card Statement (UK or EEA)*.

Financial Statement ** – e.g. pension, endowment, ISA (UK).

P45/P60 Statement **(UK & Channel Islands).

Council Tax Statement (UK & Channel Islands) **.

Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit) **.

Utility Bill (UK)* – Not Mobile Telephone.

Benefit Statement* – e.g. Child Allowance, Pension.

A document from Central / Local Government / Government Agency / Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)*. Think of, for example, the Department for Work and Pensions. Or the Employment Service, Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, or Social Security.

EU National ID Card.

Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK).

Please note:

If a document in the List of Valid Identity Documents is:

Denoted with * – it should be less than three months old.

Denoted with ** – it should be issued within the past 12 months.

Not denoted – it can be more than 12 months old.

N.B: Internet generated documents are not acceptable.

Do you need help with a DBS application and are not sure where to start? Polo & Tweed can help! Contact us now and we can get the process started for you or your member of domestic household staff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *