Delivering great guest experiences again and again can be achieved through quality training. Click To TweetWhen running a hotel – all will stand or fall on your guest experiences. It does not matter how well you, or the team feel things are going – if guest satisfaction is not up to scratch it will affect the whole business.
Choosing the right, focused and tailor made training for your team, or specifically selected teams, can really make a difference in the productivity of your provided service and therefore can directly have a positive impact on your guest satisfaction.
So how can training your hotel staff improve guest experiences?
What to know about guest experience
Guest and customer experience can be measured in many different ways, and many case studies can be found on this subject. Before burying yourself in lengthy and complex management concept studies and books though, it already helps to know the following aspects of customer service, and keep them in mind when working with your team to improve guest experience.
- Understand that guest experience comes entirely from your guests, and is solely defined by them. This might sound very obvious, but really try to step into the guests’ shoes to fully understand and experience things from a guests perspective.
- Prevent instead of react. Practically this might be difficult, as you might not be aware of any issues until you receive complaints. However having our trainer(s) come in on surveillance (as discussed further in the next paragraph) can give you a great insight into arising issues you might have not been aware of yet, and gives you the opportunity to fix it before it becomes a complaint.
- Length of experience: Guests will judge their experience long before they actually step foot through your doors, and long after they have left. Have a look at your pre-booking communication which really does give off the first impression. Also think about what types of follow ups you can add – or personal touches when a guest returns for another visit.
- A multi-leveled guest experience is depending on both social and personal judgement and experience and can also be influenced from outside – your guest might have read or heard negative reviews about you previously and will come with certain assumptions you will already be fighting against.
- An all-encompassing guest experience is shaped by anyone and everyone in the business. The front of house team’s welcoming of the guest is of absolute equal importance as the IT team running a functional and user friendly website and booking system, as well as the housekeeping team and the service staff remembering favourite drinks. It is all about the integration between the different departments too. You can have an amazing front of house person, but if the lobby has not been cleaned properly when the guest steps in, or if the valet is not at the right place at the right time, things can go negative very quickly. Once you realise every single person on the team is crucial to success, however high up or low in the ranks they may be, you can apply this focus and improve your overall customer service quality.
- Transparency. Make sure everything you and your team do is genuine. Guests will see through fake attempts of providing service instantly, that goes from the experiences during their actual stay, to follow up marketing emails enticing them to a return visit. Make sure that the intention is always genuine, always wanting to provide good service, giving them the extra special details that never go unnoticed.
How training can make a difference
Starting with the first point in the previous paragraph: to improve guest experience you need to fully understand what the guest experience actually is. Just some reviews online simply do not give you enough; this avenue is very limited for information on what actually goes on. Before booking and setting up the actual training days, a Polo & Tweed trainer or a team would visit the hotel – anonymously if you prefer – to troubleshoot and find out where things are going wrong. This will then be used to create a tailor made training package focused on the issues the surveillance person or team came across – combined with your indication of training needs.
You might have great, loyal and hardworking staff who want to make things work- which is a very important thing to have. However, sometimes their skills might simply be lacking. It is difficult to change attitude, but skills we can teach, plenty of them! We have a very large selection of modules that can all be adapted to your specific needs. This can be anything from specific cleaning methods or stain removal skills for the housekeeping team, different types of service and table settings for the service team or understanding different types of cultural etiquette for the front of house team – just to name a few of many examples.
Team work and organisation
Different from above, you might have very skilled workers, but for some reason things are still not flowing well. Then it is worth looking into training subjects like teamwork, organisation, planning and schedules. Often staff are not clear enough on their exact tasks, or do not have a clear schedule to follow – resulting in things taking too long, or simply being forgotten all-together. On many occasions there might be issues within a team too – we are dealing with people after all , and although it will be impossible to force everyone to get on well and be friends, our trainers can provide practises and techniques to enable the team to work together, support each other and stop things from being counterproductive.
Why is the Polo & Tweed training different
The Polo & Tweed training department only selects the best professionals in the industry to become their trainers. All trainers have long standing, concrete experience working in many different hotel and hospitality settings. This makes them know the industry inside out and therefore they are able to apply all of that knowledge into all of their training. They will use real life examples so clarify and showcase situations which makes students and client relate, build trust and inspire to do better and achieve more.
Besides top level trainers, we find it extremely important to fully understand the training needs and your hotel or business setup. We take our time to get to know you, your business or hotel and what you are trying to improve, solve or achieve. We will find out exactly what the issues are you are facing, and match this with training solutions. We have a long list of specified modules we provide, and all these can be mixed and matched to create your tailor made training package solely focused on your business and your situation.
At Polo & Tweed we care for you and your brand, and can make the experience personalised and as easy for you as you like. We can arrange meetings, shadowing days and surveillance bookings for us to establish and advice on what type of training is needed, and create a tailor made proposal from there. We often organise return visits too, to make sure all training and changes are implemented correctly, and update staff on missed skills where needs be. All this so you do not have to worry at all, and from initial inquiry to final day you can rest assured we are keeping your team up to date on skills, attitude and work ethic.
We would love to hear from you regarding your Hotel or hospitality business, and how our training methods and our trainers could make a difference to your guest experiences. You can get in touch here and we look forward to bringing your hotel to the next level!